Lund University, LTH,
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
The Department of Architecture and Built Environment at Lund University, Faculty of Engineering invites applications for a position as Professor in urban design and planning, with a focus on sustainable development.
Urban design and planning, with a focus on sustainable development
The subject urban design and planning involves the planning, development and design of urban and rural areas, and relates to different scales from small urban spaces to urban landscapes and regions. The subject can, for example, involve the relation between urban life and the built environment, the use of urban spaces, practice-based method for urban development, planning theory, urban morphology and urban design.
The focus is here especially on how the built environment can contribute to a sustainable development. Urban design and planning should thus be seen as an integrated part in a long-term societal development that does not degrade or threaten the living conditions of future generations. The perspective on sustainable development could focus on social, ecological and/or economical aspects, but should also deal with how these three aspects interact through and in relation to the built environment.
• Research within the subject area
• Teaching in the first, second and third cycles of studies
• Supervision of degree projects and doctoral students
• Actively seeking external research funding
• Collaboration with industry and wider society
• Administration related to the work duties listed above
Appointment as a professor requires that the applicant has:
• Demonstrated research expertise.
• Demonstrated teaching expertise.
• Completed at least five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning, or acquired equivalent knowledge by other means, unless there are valid reasons.
• Master’s degree in architecture, landscape architecture, or an equivalent degree in a design related subject.
• Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
• Experience of leading research projects.
• Documented ability of both applying for, and receiving, external research funding.
When assessing the applicants, special importance will be given to research and teaching expertise within the subject.
For appointments to professor, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
• A very good national and international standing as a researcher. The requirement for international experience shall be assessed with consideration to the character and traditions of the subject.
• A very high level of teaching skill, including a very good ability to conduct, develop and lead teaching and other educational activities on different levels and using a variety of teaching methods.
• A good ability to supervise doctoral students to achieve a PhD.
• A good ability to collaborate with wider society and communicate his or her activities.
• A good general ability to lead and develop activities.
• Experience from practice within architecture, urban design or urban planning will be considered as a merit.
Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research, first and second cycle education and innovation within the department, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English. Please draw up the application in accordance with LTH’s Academic qualifications portfolio – see link below. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system. Read more:
|Type of employment||Permanent position|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||As soon as possible|
|Number of positions||1|
|Working hours||100 %|
|Last application date||30.Aug.2020 11:59 PM CET|