This role supports a Global Innovation Linkages grant between UNSW and partners, Novel CFRP Transport Tank with Highly Durable Anti-surge Safety System. The Research Associate (RA) will work closely with the partner company engineers to design the anti-surge baffles and associated manufacturing process. The RA will develop multiphysics simulation frameworks to design the baffle configuration (FEA, CFD, fluid-structure interaction) and simulate the baffle manufacture (CFD, FEA, and possibly DEM/SPH). The RA will use the simulation tools assist with the design, manufacture and optimisation of new products to be exported for use in the European transport industry.
The role of Research Associate reports to Dr Garth Pearce and has no direct reports.
- Salary (Level A): $95,449 – $102,091 (AUD) + 17% superannuation
- 2-year fixed term contract
- Full-time position
- Location: Kensington Campus – Sydney, Australia
UNSW is currently implementing a ten-year strategy to 2025 and our ambition for the next decade is nothing less than to establish UNSW as Australia’s global university. This position is within the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering.
About the successful applicant:
- PhD (or soon to be awarded) in Engineering (Mechanical, Aerospace, Manufacturing, Industrial) or related area.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent research with limited supervision.
- Demonstrated track record of publications and conference presentations relative to opportunity.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team, collaborate across disciplines and build effective relationships, particularly with industry partners.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate and interact with a diverse range of stakeholders and students.
- Demonstrated experience with complex multiphysics simulation, particularly with a focus on simulation of manufacturing processes. Specific experience with modelling granular materials and/or the polymer production processes are optional but highly desired.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
Within your application you should address the selection criteria which are listed within the position description.
- Pre-employment checks required for this position include qualification verification.
Please apply online. Applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed below.
T: +61 2 9385 3475
Applications close: 11:30 pm (AEST), Thursday 28th November 2019