We are seeking a highly motivated Research Fellow to undertake a project aiming to develop mathematical frameworks bridging different scales of brain activities to provide a new tool for understanding the brain.
This project will provide a framework to enable the creation of subject-specific neural circuit diagrams. The activities of microscopic neurons will be linked to macroscopic brain behaviour, providing a novel technique for neuroimaging. This technique will enable insights into brain function and provide potential benefits for understanding and treating neurological disorders as well as for the development of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies. The outcomes will have a significant impact on the treatment of neurological conditions in the future through greater understanding of diseases, improved diagnostics, and subsequent treatments.
Your role will be to:
- Create large-scale mean-field models from microscopic and macroscopic data
- Test the predictive power of the models
- Refine the models and estimation algorithms and iterate to improve predictive performance
- Improve efficiency of these methods to improve scalability for large networks
Key Selection Criteria
- A postgraduate research degree at PhD level in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or an appropriate relevant field.
- Strong neuroscientific, mathematical, and/or computational skills.
- High level of computer literacy and experience, in particular in MATLAB, Python and/or C++.
- Demonstrated ability to perform independent research and to work effectively as a member of a research team.
- Demonstrated project and time management skills, including the ability to manage competing priorities.
- A record of high-quality research as evidenced by publications in leading journals and at conferences commensurate with opportunity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by presentation of research results at conferences, internal forums and manuscript submissions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders (academic, administrative and support staff) in a courteous and effective manner.
- Additionally, at Level B, a successful applicant must show a record of sustained quality research evidenced by significant tools/systems and publications in good international conferences and journals.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you, including generous leave, child care subsidies and discounted parking. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development, and we’ll support you in doing what you love.
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a meaningful and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
About The University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world; we are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive, and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE) has been a leading Australian provider of engineering and IT education and research for over 150 years. We are a multidisciplinary School organised into three key areas: Chemical and Biomedical Engineering (CBE), Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering (EMI), and Computing and Information Systems (CIS). MSE continues to attract top staff and students and has a commitment to knowledge for the betterment of society.
The Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) is a vibrant and rapidly growing department within MSE. We are working on some of the most meaningful problems at the interface of engineering with life and medical sciences. The crux of this work is the application of interdisciplinary expertise and thought to make new discoveries and develop innovative solutions for improved healthcare and social wellbeing.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Cover Letter addressing all selection criteria and your Resume.
Please note that shortlisted applicants may be asked to complete a video interview.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse